Thursday 6 October 2011

In memory of Steve Jobs. Connecting the dots.

The whole Internet is talking about him, every newspaper has pictures portraying him, wikipedia already updated its page about him... And I still want to talk about this great man that passed away yesterday, October 5th 2011.

Although I never had the luck to know him (of course... I mean who am I?) I personally owe him very much, and could not help getting goose bumps and wet eyes when I read the news.


It was October of a few years ago when I stumbled across the video of Steve's 2005 speech at the Stanford University. At the time I had just refused a scholarship from a very important university... all in the sake of making my life with my own hands without relying on the security of a  piece of paper. I felt alone and scared, constantly questioning my decision and wondering if my arrogance would only bring me to desperation and failure. I loved what I did, I believed in myself but still it was hard when it felt like me against the rest of the world. Steve's words made my day... but not only my day, they gave me  faith and strength again. Every time someone asked me why I did what I was doing and every time I was shown how my choices did not have a clear practical goal, every time that I felt that what I was doing was right, even though I could not rationally explain why, I remembered the words: "connecting the dots", I remembered the words "stay hungry, stay foolish", I remembered the strength of a man that connected those dots... And did in a way no one could have ever imagined!

Let's all stay hungry, let's all stay foolish.

My condolences to all those who have known and loved Mr. Jobs.
My respect to his memory.

No comments:

Post a Comment